Wednesday, September 19, 2007
The birthmother DID show up for her psych evaluation yesterday. I know that without it, she couldn't go to rehab. But I don't know if the insurance issues were remedied--so I'm not sure she's GOING to rehab. I guess we'll know next week.
Her last drug screen came back having been tampered with or altered--so it gets recorded as "positive". The caseworker said it was "fake". Not sure what that meant exactly, just that she was hiding reality. I don't know if this was last weeks test or Monday's test.
The caseworker said they've already tried to find the father with no luck. She explicitly said that the father's family would just have to make contact on their own--they were done seeking him out. When I told her that the birthfather was here on a visa that has since expired, she sounded like she might look into finding him that way; but I couldn't tell. I think she said she was going to contact the birthfather's brother (he's co-owner of a local business), but I don't recall. I got the impression that the ball was in their court and if they didn't make contact--too bad. Except that it's too bad for US if the baby goes adoptive. Geesh... could you see THAT coming back to bite us when she's, say, 10? Or 15?
So at the moment, we're awaiting approval for her request to suspend visitation. She told me that they would likely stop for a while. I believe they will stop until the mother is in a program. If she can't get into the inpatient program because of insurance and has to do an outpatient program, I wonder if they will require that she test clean before they start visits again. I hope so. Who knows.
I hope the aunt has some info on the rehab situation. Since her aunt enlightened me to how she does well in structured settings and falls apart otherwise, part of me hopes she can't go inpatient. It will just prolong the whole thing. I don't know. Maybe it won't. Maybe it doesn't matter where she goes. The reality is: it doesn't. What's meant to be is just going to be and we have another 8 months to get through before we know whether or not they consider terminating the parents rights. How those months are spent by the mother is irrelevant compared to the end result. If she goes to rehab for 6 months and tanks in the 6 weeks after she's out, the result will be the same. If she doesn't go inpatient and tanks every step of the way, it's not going to make the wait any shorter.
Little Fuzzball. Sweet, STINKY, fuzzball.