Friday, April 24, 2009
Apparently, Cookie's father knows what's going on. The aunt that lives here (in our state) got word that he was trying to contact her. We found it incredibly coincidental that he'd call now--when Cookie had been removed.
Turns out, he seems to know that Cookie's been removed and wants to help keep her from her mother. He's going to call me tomorrow.
The thing is: he's listed on the birth certificate, but never signed it. (actually I found out recently that no father is listed on the birth certificate) He's never seen Cookie and never contacted CPS. By all accounts, he completely abandoned her. I have no idea what value his involvement would have. I mean, will they even CARE about what he wants given that he's NEVER seen her and she's almost 2yo??
He told the aunt that he really just wants to be able to see her once in a while. Since he's drug-free and was always said to be a responsible and upstanding guy (albeit VERY young--he was 20 when she was born where mom was 36), I don't really have a problem with that. Really--I don't. Nobody's going to take her unsupervised so it's not an issue really. The biggest issue would be the mother because she always relapses and I'm pretty sure she'll never let it rest that SHE is the mother vs. acknowledging that we'd both have a hand in mothering her.
*sigh*
The whole things just sucks. It just really sucks.